Memory Lane: Garlic Bread

Garlic bread is so worth the fate of garlic breath. It just is. The taste (and smell!) of toasty garlic in olive oil permeating soft bread ...

Garlic bread is so worth the fate of garlic breath. It just is. The taste (and smell!) of toasty garlic in olive oil permeating soft bread layers in the oven while crisping up the crusty exterior is the most amazing thing of all time. There have been restaurants over the course of my life that I have visited only for the garlic bread. Garlic Breadsticks, with a side of romaine lettuce? Sure, I'll go to Olive Garden with you! Not that I ever needed to be talked into ordering from Vinnie's, but GARLIC KNOTS are just like... If I was deciding between pizza or garlic knots... I just feel like I would get both, but definitely NEVER skip the knots. Garlic bread is a passion of mine, and pretty much anyone else I've ever met, too.


My favorite garlic bread recipe came from Thug Kitchen 2, in which you score the loaf of italian bread into large cubes but without cutting through the bottom, and then rub a mixture of oil and finely minced garlic and herbs all over the bread so that it falls into the cracks of the scored bread, wrapping it in foil and baking until it smells like you sprayed eau d'garlic all over your house and then your bread will be all toasty and crispy and the best thing ever, on the side of your meal or alone.
My friends and I always attempted to make garlic bread and I always wanted to put in under the broiler for just a minute and then 9 times out of 10 we forgot about it and only remembered when the fire alarm went off. I also made sure to give the job of mincing the garlic or microplaning the garlic to my friend, because it is makes your fingers smell like raw garlic for 2 days straight. It's a tough job but someone's gotta make the garlic bread!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've never made garlic bread like this. I feel like I would prefer it this way. I always have it when you slice the bread into rounds and bake.

    Garlic knots? Is that a regional thing? It has been FOREVER since I've had one. Seen any vegan ones in the Philly area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I wish! We will have to bully Blackbird into making us some!

      Delete